While everyone gets excited about Signing Day, I've never understood the fascination. A bunch of kids make a decision, or sometimes make up a decision, about where they're going to play football. Big deal. The real excitement starts the day after Signing Day. Seriously. After signing day comes Bitter Recriminations Week! Truly Christmas in February!
So lets kick the week off right by letting the accusations of tampering, bribery, theft, and slander fly!
Put on your Wizard's cap, sling some dirt on your rival, and evaluate the talent (or lack there of) in your recruiting class. If your class sucks, admit it and place some blame. Calls for your coach's head make good copy. If your class rocks, here's your chance to gloat and taunt the schools you stole recruits from. Nothing makes a Roundtable more festive than a good 'ole internets style flame war.
Maybe it's the snake oil talkin' but dammit I'm excited about this roundtable. So pony up and answer some questions, goddammit!
1. As a general question, evaluate your recruiting class. Is it more or less what you expected, were you pleasantly surprised or horribly, horribly disappointed? Were your team's needs adequately addressed or will you be starting a two star running back at center next year?
2. Who were the big catches in your recruiting class? Name two players matriculating to your school whose existence everyone else in the Big Ten will curse for the next four years.
For instance, we got McGuffie and you didn't
3. You can't win them all. Maybe some slick talking carpetbagger schmoozed his way into your living room, sold you a set of ginzu knives made out of tin foil, and walked off with your wife and your star recruit. Perhaps an in-state lock who grew up with [Insert University Here] posters on his wall and your coach's face tattooed on his arm decided to go elsewhere for reasons no one seems to understand? Did your recruiting class lose someone big on signing day, who was it, and was your school able to yoink someone else to cover his loss?
4. There's been a spirited debate about this whole "Coaches' Code" among the members of the Big Ten coaching fraternity. Do you believe this exists or is it a line being floated by the guys who couldn't keep their recruiting classes together? Bonus points for declaring your coach a poacher or a poachee in creative fashion!
5. Finally, who's the slickest, smoovest, most Billy Dee Williamsesque recruiter in the Big Ten? Who's the worst, most incompetent, "trip over the flat tire on his Yugo" recruiter in the Big Ten?
Get your answers up and post a link in the comments section over the next few days. My answers will be up tomorrow. I'll post a roundup on Monday. And please, for the love of all that's unholy, be as vicious as possible. If someone doesn't spill blood over the answers I'll consider it a failure.