US PRESSWIRE - Presswire
The Big Ten will just sit this round out, y'all
Well, except for Ohio State, the Big Ten has now completely excused itself from my ballot. That is one less team than the ACC is able to muster and two less than the Big East. THE BIG EAST.
I feel like someone needs to rub Jim Delany's nose in this whole mess before hitting him with a rolled up newspaper and locking him in the backyard for the night. The Big Ten is what we thought it was: a bunch of mediocre teams.
Onward to the rankings...
Some thoughts on the rankings...
- This is the first serious challenge that Alabama has gotten yet this year for the number one spot, but I'll keep The Tide there despite the bye week and Florida's big win because Alabama continues to dismantle everything in its path.
- Florida jumps to number two thanks to that big win over LSU at home. The Gators have beaten a couple pretty good SEC teams and a top five team. That'll do for a big jump.
- Oregon keeps doing Oregon things and stays high in the rankings, but South Carolina gets the nod to number three thanks to blowing the doors off of Georgia on Saturday. West Virginia is now top five material after beating Texas at Texas.
- Notre Dame, Kansas State, and Ohio State all keep climbing thanks to upsets above, but LSU stays tight on their heels The big shocker is Oregon State in the top ten, which I don't think anyone saw coming, and I certainly don't feel all that confidence about. However, four solid wins over BCS conference teams and an undefeated record is, at this point, good enough.
- To be completely honest, I'm not sure what to do with Mississippi State and Louisville. Both are undefeated right now, but MSU's best win is, to date, Auburn at home, followed by a road win at Kentucky. Louisville also has a win over Kentucky and a win over North Carolina. I just can't push either team past Texas, FSU, or Georgia or any of the other one loss teams sitting ahead of these two undefeated teams. Beat someone with a pulse, then we will talk.
- The final five slots in the polls were hard to fill, but I wasn't about to hand out the honor to a bunch of bigger name teams on the basis of reputation. Therefore, we go with a bunch of mid-majors and BCS conference doormats.
Big Ten - 1
SEC - 6
ACC - 2
Big East - 3
Big XII - 5
Pac 12 - 4
Other - 4