Michigan survives the trap with a six point win against Air Force to move to 1-1 overall.
Early in the game Michigan was rolling, eventually going up 14-3 after two quick touchdowns. Robinson was particularly effective both as a runner and a passer early on. However, Air Force fought back to a 14-10 halftime deficit on the back of an offense that put together three drives over 10 plays and 50 yards.
Michigan looked to take control in the second half with two straight touchdown drives, but Air Force put together two touchdown drives as well, including one on a short field, in the third quarter to keep pace. In the fourth quarter Michigan's defense clamped down with a stop and a field goal extended the lead to six. Air Force had a couple opportunities to score late, but Michigan's defense stepped up when it needed to -- including Jake Ryan's quarterback pressure on the final Air Force offensive play -- and the Wolverines walked away with a win.
- Denard Robinson had an incredible day: 14 for 25 for 203 yards, two touchdowns and an interception while running for 218 yards on 20 rushes for two touchdowns.
- Fitz Toussaint was almost nowhere to be found in the game. After serving a one week suspension, Fitz registered just seven yards on eight carries. Let's hope this was enough to shake most of the rust off.
- Freshman tight end Devin Funchess had a huge game for Michigan with four catches for 101 yards and a touchdown. Devin Gardner also had a solid game catching four passes for 43 yards and a touchdown.
- The defense looked shaky for much of the game, but when it came down to make or break time, Michigan's defense forced two drives to end in downs to preserve the lead. Air Force ran for 275 yards but it took 69 carries to get there, and the Falcons added 139 yards passing.
- Special teams watch: Dennis Norfleet is going to take one back this year. Mark it down.
I'm not particularly confident about the defense, but I'll reserve judgment until the Wolverines play someone who A) isn't Alabama and B) isn't an option team.
Also, Denard Robinson had 20 carries. Troll on, Al. Troll on.