Clark Sets A Decision Date
Four-star 2015 tight end Chris Clark (Avon Old Farms HS, Avon, CT) announced earlier this week that he would be announcing his college decision at The Opening, an event hosted by Nike, which will be held from July 7-10 in Beaverton, Ore.
Excited to say I will be announcing my commitment at the Opening #TheOpening— Chris Clark (@Clark8Chris) May 5, 2014
The former North Carolina commit is reportedly high on Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Tennessee and Georgia, along with UNC in no particular order, although he told 247 Sports that after a recent visit, Michigan appears to be the team to beat, according to Steve Wiltfong. ($)
Ohio State is the current 247Sports Crystal Ball Leader for Clark, however he told 247Sports at the New Jersey NFTC that Michigan was on top following a recent visit.
Clark-to-Michigan is something that has gained a ton of steam since his visit to Ann Arbor in mid-April. All indications are that the Wolverines will take two tight ends in this class, and Clark would be a good piece to add to the rotation.
If I were to guess right now, the two players that Michigan will end up bringing in at tight end during the 2015 cycle would be Clark and legacy commit Tyrone Wheatley Jr. (Canisius HS, Manlius, NY), who is also a four-star prospect.
If these two commits were to drop, the Wolverines would be bringing in two top-ten players at the position in this class, with Clark and Wheatley ranked 4th and 10th, respectively according to the 247 Composite.
Weber Says Rumor of Top Schools is False
There were reports earlier this week that four-star 2015 running back Mike Weber (Cass Tech HS, Detroit, MI) had narrowed his school choices down to four and that the Wolverines were not included in that group, which seemed strange because the mutual interest between him and Michigan had picked up since Doug Nussmeier was brought in.
Well, it was too strange to be true, and Weber himself took to Twitter to clear up the situation.
The rumor going around on a top 4 it's not true I don't have a top 4— Uncle Mike (@mikeweber25) May 6, 2014
But wait, there's more.
MGoBlog's Brandon Brown spoke with Weber on Monday night, where additional light was shed on the situation.
Mike Weber tells me he has no top 4 and "it's silly" that #Michigan isn't included among his favorites. He'll release a top group soon.— Brandon Brown (@CoachBrown3) May 6, 2014
I also asked Mike Weber if #Michigan would be in his top group and he said, "no doubt".— Brandon Brown (@CoachBrown3) May 6, 2014
So there you have it. Weber has not officially announced his top schools, and the Wolverines are most certainly still in the mix.
There was a time where Weber was considered a heavy Michigan State lean, but with Nussmeier stating he wants to roll with multiple backs in his offense, the door has opened back up for the Wolverines.
Offer From Wolverines Has 2016 Guard's Attention
In the last roundup, we talked about how Michigan had offered 2016 five-star guard Richard Merritt (Archbishop Carroll HS, Washington, DC), and it does appear that it is a school he is seriously considering.
Speaking with 247's Clint Brewster, Merritt said he has talked to offensive line coach Darrell Funk and plans on visiting the school. ($)
At 6-5, 345 lbs going into his junior year, Merritt has the chance to be one of the top ranked offensive lineman in all of high school football with a strong showing over the next two seasons, and it is a testament to his skill set that some big name schools have shown interest in him already, including Michigan, Alabama, Auburn, and various other SEC schools.
2016 Quarterback Planning to Camp at Michigan This Summer
Much has been discussed about the quarterbacks that Michigan is targeting for the 2015 cycle, but it is never too early to look ahead in the world of recruiting, and it looks like there is a guy that the Wolverines are keeping an eye on for the 2016 class.
According to Adam Gorney of Rivals.com, four-star quarterback KJ Costello (Santa Margarita Catholic HS, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA) plans on attending camp at Michigan this summer.
In an article from Monday afternoon, Gorney talked to Costello about the contact he has had with the Wolverines. ($)
"I'm definitely planning to go to Michigan," Costello said. "I talked to coach (Doug) Nussmeier on the phone (Friday). I have to call them because I'm still a sophomore. I called him four or five times and he's been frustrated he missed the calls so we finally connected.
Costello is the fifth-ranked pro-style quarterback in the class of 2016, according to the 247 composite. You can check out his highlights below.
That's it for Wednesday. Remember to leave any questions or feedback in the comments section below.
Be sure to follow Maize N Brew's Anthony Broome on Twitter, @anthonytbroome.