You can now get paid to write fire tweets. For Jim Harbaugh.
Yesterday, Michigan posted a full-time opening for a Director of Internal Communications and Operations for the Head Football Coach. From the description, it sounds like the majority of the role will be in a "personal assistant" capacity to Harbaugh, but the lucky soul will get to spend part of the time managing Harbaugh's famous @CoachJim4UM twitter account. Here's the job description, from the posting:
OPERATIONS DUTIES (80%)
1. Assists head coach in all areas, including day-to-day operations, administration and office management.
2. Maintain head coachs personal and professional contacts
3. Produce content needed by head coach for team meetings
4. Assist head coach with personal appearances and off-season engagements
5. Complete special projects as assigned by head coach, including family engagements
COMMUNICATIONS DUTIES (20%)
1. Coordinate internal communications for the head coach within the athletic department and U-M community.
2. Assist head coach with personal social media account and messaging
3. Monitor coaches and student-athletes social media activities; report issues to communications and digital team and head coach
4. Assist with internal content for Michigan Football social media accounts
5. Update team depth chart on Sundays
6. Manage team rosters for use by members of the football program
7. Work with coach on submission of the coaches? poll (if asked to participate)
8. Coordinate football photography needs with Creative Department; schedule team and individual student-athlete, coaches and administrative photos and make sure they are archived
Sounds pretty simple, right? Run some errands, probably to Harbaugh's laundry and stuff, send some tweets. But how about the qualifications?
- Bachelors degree in communications, journalism, public relations or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years related experience in communications and/or football administration.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Creative thinking and ability to think on their feet.
- Knowledge of football department and how it operates.
- Knowledge of the following software programs: Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite particularly InDesign, Photoshop and PowerPoint.
- Compliance/understanding of Big Ten and NCAA rules.
- Must be able to establish and maintain positive working relationships with athletic department staff, coaches and student-athletes.
- Must possess outstanding interpersonal and communication skills -- verbal and written; excellent problem analysis and problem-solving skills; attention to detail and accuracy; outstanding customer service orientation; adaptability; initiative; and stress tolerance.
- Travel with football team and head coach.
- Ability to work weekends during competitive season(s).
- On-call availability and periodic overtime.
- Unplanned activities/other duties as assigned.
Welcome to the sports business, where you need five years experience to gain employment to send tweets and run to coffee shops! Two important takeaways from this posting:
1) Do not ever work in sports, because it will eat your lonely, underpaid soul.
2) You probably don't need to pay someone to send your tweets.
On that note, you've got until June 23 to apply for this position. Better get on that, right here.