clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Ohio State defeats Michigan in double overtime, 30-27

Curtis Samuel scored a 15-yard rushing touchdown to give Ohio State a 30-27 win over Michigan.

NCAA Football: Michigan at Ohio State Greg Bartram-USA TODAY Sports

The No. 2 Ohio State Buckeyes defeated the No. 3 Michigan Wolverines in double overtime, 30-27.

It was a defensive battle throughout the first quarter, but then the offensive talent came alive for both teams in the second frame. Ohio State had its chance early, but kicker Tyler Durbin missed a 37-yard field goal.

Michigan opened up the scoring with 13:31 left in the second quarter on a 28-yard field goal by Kenny Allen.

Nine minutes later, Ohio State responded with a pick-six. Michigan quarterback Wilton Speight felt pressure and forced a throw into the hands of Malik Hooker, who returned the interception 16 yards for a touchdown. The pick-six gave Ohio State a 7-3 lead over Michigan.

Khalid Hill, also known as the Hammering Panda, made his presence felt with six seconds left in the first half. Hill blew into the end zone for his 10th touchdown of the season to give Michigan the lead at the break.

Michigan stayed active with Hill in the third quarter, as Speight hit the fullback for an eight-yard score and a 17-7 lead for the Wolverines.

With 1:30 left in the third quarter, Speight was picked off by Jermone Baker. The Buckeyes capitalized with a one-yard rushing score by Mike Weber just 24 seconds after the interception. It was Michigan’s third turnover and the second interception thrown by Speight.

Durbin missed his second field goal of the game, this time from 20 yards, with 7:06 left in the game. The Ohio State kicker made up for the two misses just a little bit later in the game.

With one second left on the clock, Durbin connected on a 23-yard field goal to tie the game for Ohio State, 17-17. The field goal sent the game to overtime.

Michigan won the toss in overtime and elected to start on defense. It was the first time Michigan and Ohio State went to overtime in the 113-game history of the rival programs.

Ohio State found the end zone immediately in overtime as Barrett carried the ball seven yards into the end zone. The score gave Ohio State a 24-17 lead. The Wolverines responded on fourth down with a touchdown pass from Speight to Darboh to force double overtime.

The Wolverines started the second overtime with a field goal and Ohio State responded. The Buckeyes were facing a fourth-and-one from the 16-yard line. A field goal would sent the game to triple overtime or a first down could lead to a future touchdown. Ohio State coach Urban Meyer decided to go for it.

Barrett took it on fourth down and ran into the back of A.J. Alexander, Barrett’s blocker, right at first down line. After reviewing the play, the first down call stood.

"That was not a first down," Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh said. "I'm bitterly disappointed with the officiating today."

On the next play, Ohio State picked up a 15-yard rushing touchdown by Curtis Samuel to win the game.