Fans love to argue over who has the best arena, but a neutral analysis from Stadium Journey confirms it — the Michigan Wolverines' Yost Ice Arena is one of the best venues in college hockey.
The site ranked the top 59 venues in the nation after visiting every arena in Division I. Arenas were ranked using the "FANFARE" rating scale, which includes food and beverage, atmosphere, neighborhood, fans, access, return on investment and a category for extras. Crowd reviews were used to make tie breakers.
Yost Ice Arena came in at No. 5, with the following remarks:
Red Berenson has helped bring Michigan Wolverines hockey to the forefront of the hockey conversation in the NCAA. By keeping the tradition, the Wolverines have created an atmosphere that is second to none in the league. If you are a true hockey fan, then a trip to Yost Ice Arena must be in the cards for you. Make sure you attempt to get there while you can still see one of Red's teams. Although he is an icon, he won't be there forever!
Here is the top 10:
1. Amsoil Arena - Home of the Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs
2. Mariucci Arena - Home of the Minnesota Golden Gophers
3. Kohl Center - Home of the Wisconsin Badgers
4. Cheel Arena - Home of the Clarkson Golden Knights
5. Yost Ice Arena - Home of the Michigan Wolverines
6. Compton Family Ice Arena - Home of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish
7. Agganis Arena - Home of the Boston University Terriers
8. Ralph Engelstad Arena - Home of North Dakota Hockey
9. Tsongas Center - Home of the UMass Lowell River Hawks
10. Baxter Arena - Home of the Nebraska Omaha Mavericks