Jim Harbaugh met with the local media Monday afternoon to field questions about last week’s loss against Penn State. He was asked about the quarterbacks, the defense as a whole and Chase Winovich’s injury, among other things.
Here is what he had to say:
Monday Press Conference Recap
- On CB Lavert Hill: “He’s been very good. We’ve discussed (Lavert’s inappropriate gesture after the game). On the field he has been very good.”
- On John O’Korn against Penn State: “He managed the game very well. Communicated, ran the offense very well.”
- On Brandon Peters: “He is getting backup snaps. He is readying himself to play. Every day he is readying himself to be out there playing. The backup quarterback always needs to be ready to play.”
Harbaugh also said he considered putting Peters in against Penn State once the game was out of reach.
- On Dylan McCaffrey: “He’s progressing, he’s No. 3, getting less reps with the ones and twos but he’s doing fine.”
- On the defense giving up chunk plays against Penn State: “They got a couple of big running plays early, and we’ve done a great job of taking away the run. The quarterback made some good throws down the field and were able to get some big plays. Go back and attack it and do better.”
- On the offensive line against Penn State: “I thought the line played very physical. Thought they matched up physically and really fought hard. There were some good things there.”
- On Harbaugh’s approach moving forward in the season: “A team that goes through this understands it can have a great opportunity and understanding where it needs to be and the response that comes as coaches, as players. When the going get tough, the tough get going. We control a lot, and that’s the other thing I want them to understand.”
- On Chase Winovich’s injury in the Penn State game: “He’s working through something. We’ll see better today what the extent of it is.”
- On Rashan Gary’s year and how he is different from last year: “He’s continued to be an ascending player. Tough guy. Gritty teammate. Somebody we count on to respond right now. Someone that will respond.”