James Hudson III had 22 offers, which included Alabama, Texas, Miami (FL), Cal and nine Big Ten Schools to name a few. He announced his top 10 on July 3, 2016.
TOP 10❗️❗️(No Order) pic.twitter.com/elMNqqNStI— James Hudson III ™ (@__BallisLife2) July 3, 2016
He visited Michigan and Michigan State, but in the end, decided on the Wolverines. He shared this news and decision on August 6, 2016.
Sorry For The Wait pic.twitter.com/keAFekr22f— James Hudson III ™ (@__BallisLife2) August 8, 2016
The 6-5, 290 pound Toledo native currently attends Central Catholic and is a very excited to play under Coach Harbaugh and Don Brown next year. His size and talent as a defensive end has earned him the 9th ranked player overall in Ohio and 13th nationally as a DT, according to 247 Sports. His senior highlights are below.
GO WATCH NOW ‼️ https://t.co/NCYYBXu0O8— James Hudson III ™ (@__BallisLife2) December 5, 2016
Maize N Brew caught up with James this week after National Signing Day to get a better idea about his decision, his focus before college and to learn more about this local player.
1. When did you know Michigan was the right school?
“I knew Michigan was the right school for me when I went to the BBQ. I sat down with the coaches and they just told me and my family why Michigan would fit me and it all made sense.”
2. How important was it to stay close to home?
“It's very important to stay close to home because I love playing in front of all my family and friends. They love watching me play also so yeah. Being 45 minutes away it's important.”
3. What's the one thing you are most excited about when you think about attending Michigan as a student-athlete?
“I'm most excited about just meeting new people and seeing what UM can do for me.”
4. What surprised you the most about the school and football program that you didn't know before the recruiting process started?
“What surprised me is the tradition UM has.”
5. Who else in this class have you become good friends with already?
“I've became good friends with pretty much the entire DL. I can't wait to be there with them. They are great people.”
6. What will you focus on between now and when you start fall camp to get prepared for the next level?
“I will focus on just getting bigger, stronger and faster. Because I want to play and I feel like I can I just have to prepare my body for the level of competition.”
7. Favorite movie?
“My favorite movie is Menace II Society.”
8. Who is your favorite player from Michigan that you watched growing up?
“My favorite player from Michigan that I watched growing up would have to be Charles Woodson or Lamar Woodley. Somewhat, Frank Clark too, but he was there just a few years ago.”
9. What do you think about the planned trips out of the country over the next few years?
“I think the planned trips are great ideas. You get to meet other people in the world and travel with the team.”
10. What do you think the biggest adjustment will be for you with the transition to college?
“The biggest transition for me will be the pace of college football.”
James is certainly one every Michigan fan should be excited about because this coaching staff was able to keep him close to home and can be a real contender for early playing time with this rebuilding defense.