After the best game of his young career, there’s now some begrudging appreciation for the second-year safety.
He filled up the stat sheet, notching six tackles, a sack, two TFLs and an end zone interception to help fuel a 17-16 road victory Saturday over the Denver Broncos.
His pick ended a late first half threat to keep the score tied at 10.
Jabrill Peppers! Range pic.twitter.com/BJAyJ9ZvmA— WeAreDBnation (@WeAreDBNation1) December 16, 2018
With seconds to go in the game, he crashed down on Denver quarterback Case Keenum for a game-clinching sack.
Last year, the Browns were the second team to ever finish 0-16. Behind top pick Baker Mayfield’s arm and a stingy defense, they are theoretically still alive in the playoffs at 6-7-1.
Regarding Peppers, even the editor of the Ohio State blog Eleven Warriors, who’s also a diehard Browns fan, is offering mild praise.
*politely golf claps in Jabril Peppers’ direction*— Ramzy Nasrallah (@ramzy) December 16, 2018
Peppers has racked up 68 tackles, a sack, a fumble recovery, an interception and five pass deflections this season.
Also, in the same game, Denver safety Dymonte Thomas recorded his first professional pick on the drive after Peppers’.
He also tallied three tackles, boosting his season total to 11.
A few other former Wolverine defenders saw extended playing time last weekend. Jacksonville reserve safety Jarrod Wilson made five tackles, including a lone TFL, in a 16-13 defeat to the Washington Redskins.
He now has 12 tackles to go with two forced fumbles in 2018.
Up in Minnesota, linebacker Ben Gedeon is continuing his strong finish to the year. He added five stops in the Vikings’ 41-17 destruction of Miami. He has racked up 39 total tackles, including 21 over the last four contests.
Seattle Seahawk end Frank Clark surged into the top-10 sack leaders in the league, earning his 12th on the year in a 26-23 defeat at San Francisco.
In addition, he totaled five tackles, and added several pressures to 49er quarterback Nick Mullens.
they heard this Frank Clark hit in outer space pic.twitter.com/50TRGbMxyE— Lydia Cruz (@TheLydiaCruz) December 16, 2018
His teammate Delano Hill chipped in two stops from his safety spot, giving him 17 this fall.
- Tom Brady and the Patriots dropped their second straight game, losing 17-10 at Pittsburgh. the 19-year vet completed 25-of-36 passes for 279 yards, a touchdown and a pick.
He is now just 21 passing yards away from his 10th 4,000-yard season.
- Devin Funchess, once the leading receiver for the Panthers, has struggled for two straight weeks in Carolina.
- Oakland defensive tackle Maurice Hurst earned three more tackles on the year, and even added three batted passes. He has continued to impress for the Raiders in his rookie season, racking up 31 tackles among his four sacks.
- Ravens defensive end Chris Wormley recorded his first tackles in a few weeks, earning two in a 20-12 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He now has 15 in his year in Baltimore.
- While not needed much in a blowout, Vikings punter Matt Wile managed to boot three kicks for 127 yards (42.3 average) with a long of 46.
- Jerry Jones is advocating for defensive end Taco Charlton, his first-round pick last year in Dallas.
Jerry Jones thinks it might be time to play Taco Charlton https://t.co/P3cy2DhL7p— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) December 18, 2018
He hasn’t recorded a stat since Nov. 5 against the Titans, where he mustered a single tackle. He’s recovering from a lingering shoulder issue.