Welcome to our Wednesday Open Thread here at Maize n Brew. Feel free to sound off on whatever’s on your mind in the comments below and join the discussion throughout the day.
Usually we’ll just turn it over to you and have you get after it, but because it’s a game night for basketball and the Super Bowl is coming up, I figured I’d share a quick snack that is not all that hard to make that you may be able to enjoy during the game.
Over the holidays, I made a bacon beer cheese while hosting Christmas and the recipe honestly ruled. Between blogs or other duties throughout the day, I tend to experiment when working from home, so I gave this recipe a try and am passing it along now.
Alright, so here’s what you need:
- 18 ounces of cream cheese. Regular or low-fat works. Personal preference here.
- 1⁄4 cup of sour cream
- 1-1/2 tablespoons of honey mustards
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 pound of bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese. I’d suggest sharp cheddar but again, personal preference
- 1⁄4 cup of heavy whipped cream
- 1 sliced green onion
- 1 cup of beer. For this recipe, I like to use Fat Tire.
- Either pretzels, pretzel bites, or sliced and buttered french bread. Whatever you want to dip.
What you do next is up to you. If you prefer to use a slow-cooker, that’s fine. Mix the ingredients and then let it sit and stir occasionally for a few hours on low. Slow and low is really going to help it kind of percolate and have all of those flavors combine together. If you use an Instantpot or pressure cooker, mix in everything EXCEPT for the shredded cheese and whipped cream and cook on high for five minutes. Then, add those in and stir. If you add the cheese to the Instantpot right away, you risk it burning and sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Give it a try and come back here some other day and let me know what you think. Feel free to drop any tailgate or party recipes down in the comments below.
Here’s a sampling of what we discussed on the site yesterday:
The floor is now yours. What’s on your mind today?