The college football season is coming to a close, and there are some pivotal games being played today to decide conference championships and College Football Playoff berths.
Along with the conference championships, there are a variety of other games on the schedule across the Power Five.
It should be a good day of football overall, or at least has the potential to be.
- No. 5 Texas A&M needs a win over Tennessee and for someone No. 1-4 to lose so they can slip into the College Football Playoff.
- Ohio State is going to be without 22 players in the Big Ten Championship Game versus Northwestern. Among those 22 are WR Chris Olave, LB Baron Browning, and punter Drue Chrisman. Northwestern has been a surprise team out of the West, and while they’re considered heavy underdogs, missing 22 players is a big deal. Northwestern’s going to scrap and claw and play some good defense, but the Buckeyes can score a bunch of points fast about darn near anyone. This is a situation we’ll be tracking. Will you?
- Notre Dame QB Ian Book is 30-3 in his career, Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence is 33-1. Clemson really needs to to win to stay in the College Football Playoff, and Notre Dame could find them in a peculiar situation if they lose to Clemson and somehow don’t make the playoff after beating them earlier this season (without Lawrence). My gut says Clemson wins by a couple scores, but Book is an underrated college quarterback that never gives up. I expect an entertaining game if Notre Dame’s offensive line gives Book time to throw.
- Air Force and Army are playing. That’s cool.
- Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell is becoming a rising star in the coaching ranks and it seems like it’s only a matter of time before other college and the NFL start calling. ISU will be taking on Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship. The Cyclones beat the Sooners earlier this year 37-30.
- Arguably and probably the top two Heisman vote getters, Florida QB Kyle Trask and Alabama QB Mac Jones are squaring off later this evening. This could be an Alabama blowout or Trask will keep Florida in the game in Joe Burrow-like fashion. The Florida defense has been flat out bad at times this season, and whether it’s Jones throwing the ball or Najee Harris running it, the Tide are going to be hard to beat.
Here’s a look at the schedule. Be sure to be part of the conversation throughout the day in the comments section.
Big 12 Championship: Oklahoma vs. Iowa State, 11 a.m., ABC
Big Ten Championship: Ohio State vs. Northwestern, 11 a.m., Fox
Texas A&M at Tennessee, 11 a.m., ESPN
Washington State at Utah, 12:30 p.m., Fox Sports 1
Air Force at Army, 2 p.m., CBS
Sun Belt championship: Louisiana at Coastal Carolina, 2:30 p.m., ESPN
Missouri at Mississippi State, 2:30 p.m., SEC Network alternate
ACC Championship: Clemson vs. Notre Dame, 3 p.m., ABC
Minnesota at Wisconsin, 3 p.m., Big Ten Network
Illinois at Penn State, 4:30 p.m., FS1
Stanford at UCLA, 6 p.m., ESPN
Michigan State at Maryland, 6:30 p.m., Big Ten Network
AAC championship: Tulsa at Cincinnati, 7 p.m., ABC
SEC Championship: Alabama vs. Florida, 7 p.m., CBS