While the biggest Michigan basketball storyline of the week was certainly the 2021 NBA Draft, Dug McDaniel and Jett Howard put on a show at the NBPA Top 100 Camp.
A collection of the top 100 high school basketball prospects, the camp has served as an NBA stepping stone for more than 300 players since it began in 1994. The four-day event is played in Orlando, Fla. During this week’s scrimmages, McDaniel — the Wolverines’ lone 2022 commitment thus far — and Howard — one of Michigan’s top priorities — played on the same team. Given Howard’s ties to Ann Arbor, it may very well be a sign of what’s to come at the college level.
Throughout the week, Howard and McDaniel drew rave reviews from evaluators in the stands. One of the early scrimmages even ended with Howard sinking a wing 3-pointer for the win.
Jett Howard with ice in his veins (this won the game for his team) pic.twitter.com/4cJujUJkd3— Josh Henschke (@JoshHenschke) July 28, 2021
Howard also won the camp’s 3 vs. 3 tournament alongside teammates Stephon Castle, Vincent Iwuchuckwu and Adem Bona. McDaniel’s team, meanwhile, featured him and five-star forward Jarace Walker, and the duo reportedly meshed well. While Walker once seemed like a high-priority Michigan target, it seems as though the buzz has faded.
The camp also measured each prospect in attendance. Howard checked in at 6-foot-7 — the same height as his brother Jace and two inches shorter than his father, Michigan headman Juwan Howard. McDaniel, on the other hand, checked in at 5-foot-11, which alleviated concerns about height reports ranging as low as 5-foot-7.
- The Michigan Insider ($): Two additional 2022 prospects set to visit for BBQ at the Big House
- The Michigan Insider ($): Wolverines high on the list for recent offer four-star 2022 DB Austin Ausberry
- The Only Colors: In-state Michigan decommit Alex VanSumeren commits to Spartans
ICYMI at Maize n Brew
- Michigan football’s five most important new faces
- R.J. Moten’s 2021 outlook
- Caleb Houstan checks in as a top five pick in early 2022 NBA mock draft
- Visitors list: 2021 BBQ at the Big House
Around the Big Ten at SB Nation
- Bucky’s 5th Quarter: Wisconsin F Micah Potter inks Summer League deal with Miami Heat
- Land-Grant Holy Land: Buckeye G Duane Washington Jr. signs two-way deal with Pacers
- Testudo Times: Maryland wing Aaron Wiggins selected 55th overall by Thunder
State of Michigan Sports
- Detroit Bad Boys: More on the Pistons’ 2021 NBA Draft haul
- Pride of Detroit: Five Lions impressing at training camp
- Winging it in Motown: Red Wings training camp returning to Traverse City