Excuses are rarely worth making in defeat yet that’s precisely what Ohio State cornerback Denzel Burke chose to do a month after Michigan beat the Buckeyes 30-24.
Burke isn’t happy about a touchdown he allowed. Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy found wideout Roman Wilson for a touchdown to put Michigan up 14-3.
VIDEO: JJ McCarthy threw a perfect touchdown pass in between Ohio State defenders to Roman Wilson pic.twitter.com/tpsZRIiVtR— Brad Galli (@BradGalli) November 26, 2023
Burke ripped the ball out of Wilson’s hands — after Wilson broke the plane of the end zone for a touchdown. However, Burke criticized the officials on Tuesday and thinks the call should have gone his way.
- “I’m thinking he’s going to give me the pick like we got a pick in the red zone. It’s going to change the game. And then I turn around, and I see his hands go up, and I’m like, wow.”
- “Oh, I definitely did. The refs didn’t give it to me... they gave it to him.”
- “He really didn’t have possession of the ball. I don’t know what the ref saw.”
- “It was blatant. He didn’t have control of the ball.”
- “A lot of the calls that game didn’t go our way. We can’t get stuck in the past. It is what it is.”
Burke may feel he was cheated all he wants but the play isn’t as close as he thinks it was. Regardless, it doesn’t seem wise to elaborate on a game that happened a month ago when he and his team have the Missouri Tigers and the Cotton Bowl to prepare for.