When Charles Matthews, Ignas Brazdeikis and Jordan Poole all declared for the NBA Draft earlier this month, many on social media expected Poole to be the one to come back. But after 247Sports’ recent interview with 2019 Michigan basketball guard target Nah’shon Hyland, it doesn’t sound like Poole is coming back to Ann Arbor.
“(Michigan) said they have an open spot because their shooting guard is staying in the draft,” Hyland said in the interview.
Now, Poole staying in the NBA Draft won’t be finalized until, at the very latest, May 29 — that is the deadline for players to remain in the draft process or return to school. But from the sounds of it, Poole is going to stay in the draft process and not be a Wolverine next season.
So what does this mean for John Beilein and company? It means they can go out and get an extra recruit or two via
free agency the transfer market or the 2019 recruiting class.
Hyland certainly seems to be one of those 2019 recruits Michigan is high on. He does not yet have an offer from Michigan, but he would most certainly acquire that if he were to take an official visit to Ann Arbor.
Another player many recruiting nerds, like myself, have heard about recently is guard Lester Quinones. The 4-star from IMG Academy announced he will be visiting April 29-30, and is definitely leaving with a scholarship.
This will be a tough pull, however, as teams like LSU, Memphis and Maryland have been high on Quinones for a while now. But if he were to commit to the Wolverines, he would instantly have a chance to start at shooting guard.
My good friend Daniel Plocher wrote up the players Michigan would most likely go after on the transfer market, so click here to read up on those guys.
What route do you see Michigan basketball taking to replace Jordan Poole?
This poll is closed