The game started slow, sloppy and strange, but the Michigan Wolverines were able to defeat the SMU Mustangs at the Big House Saturday afternoon 45-20.
Here’s how it all happened.
- Many runs. Not many passes, but one from Shea Patterson was picked off at the SMU 2-yard line. No score after the first 15 minutes.
- After some key throws, with pressure in his face, Patterson was able to lead Michigan to the SMU one-inch line. On 4th-and-1, fullback Ben Mason ran it in for his first touchdown of the season. 7-0 Michigan with 6:56 left in the second quarter.
- SMU comes back quick with a 50-yard touchdown reception by James Proche from Ben Hicks. 7-7 SMU with 5:16 remaining in the second quarter.
- A 35-yard touchdown catch by Donovan Peoples-Jones from Patterson gives Michigan the lead back, 14-7 with 2:34 left in the half. This was set up by a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on SMU head coach Sonny Dykes for arguing/yelling/probably saying naughty words to an official.
- After getting flagged for pass interference, safety Josh Metellus returned a 73-yard interception for a touchdown to end the first half. 21-7 Michigan heading into halftime.
- After a 28-yard reception by tight end Zach Gentry, Patterson found DPJ yet again for another Michigan touchdown. This one was from seven yards out. Michigan 28, SMU 7 with 9:07 in the third.
- After a seven-minute, 31-second drive, SMU scored on a 2-yard touchdown pass to Ryan Becker. After a missed extra point, Michigan led 28-13 with 1:36 left in the third quarter.
- Just 13 seconds later, Patterson hits Peoples-Jones on a 41-yard pass for their third touchdown connection on the game. 35-13 Michigan, 1:23.
- SMU scores on a 2-yard touchdown pass to Broche. 35-20 Michigan with 10:43 left.
- Quinn Nordin made a 45-yard field goal with 8:03 left. 38-20 Michigan.
- Tru Wilson picks up a garbage time touchdown with 1:05 left from nine yards out. 45-20 Michigan.