Jim Harbaugh just left the podium at Schembechler Hall for his Monday press conference ahead of Michigan Football’s game against Wisconsin this weekend. Harbaugh was brief with most of his comments and was not all that talkative today.
Here’s a recap of what he had to say anyways.
- Safety Brad Hawkins has been “really good” and is getting to the ball and playing with great effort.
- “Made some gains” as a team during bye week. Still working on improving health wise.
- Not sure if injured players (Jon Runyan Jr., Donovan Peoples-Jones, Tru Wilson) will return this week
- Mike Zordich has done “fabulous job” coaching cornerbacks in Michigan’s defense.
- Ben Bredeson has been fabulous in development coming out of high school players in Wisconsin. “Older than his years...mature guy. Old soul. Great family.” Plus-plus-plus in everything.
- Harbaugh sees a good Wisconsin football team on both sides of the ball. Looked tight and efficient in all aspects in first two games.
- Challenge of this game is big and Wisconsin is good every year. Playing at Camp Randall is a tough venue and a tough win to get.
- Everybody on offense has been more efficient and be able to be more cohesive during the bye week. Good ball security and making big plays when they can.
- Key to the win is taking care of the ball on all sides of the ball.
- Ball security drills on a daily basis, team just keeps working on it even if it hasn’t been a concern in practices. Scout team is being instructed to be aggressive with the football.
- When asked about Michigan’s approach as an underdog, Harbaugh said one word. “Irrelevant.”
- Going to find out what kind of road team they are. Best way to win the big games are to be a good team.
- Ambry Thomas’ attitude was biggest factor in him working his way back onto the field after colitis scare.
- Wisconsin running back Jonathan Taylor is “really good” and can run the full assortment of runs. Elusive, sees holes, blocks well. Striving to contain a back like that. Not realistic to think you can stop him entirely.
- Have not decided on kicking rotation and battle yet between Jake Moody and Quinn Nordin.
- Wisconsin QB Jack Coan “playing well.” Had him on campus and very competitive. Impressed with what he’s seen.