Michigan football head coach Jim Harbaugh spoke to the media in Ann Arbor on Monday afternoon to address the team’s effort after a few days to process what happened at Wisconsin and showed at least a little bit of the passion that a lot of fans seem to think is gone.
Here’s the full rundown of what he had to say on Monday:
- Jon Runyan brought up first as lineman that has been at Michigan for five years and part of an experienced offensive line. “One of our best linemen.”
- Harbaugh was conscious of the team’s embarrassing effort over the weekend. Said that there were very few positives and that it was “obvious” to the “football world” that it was not good enough and unacceptable. Claims that they are determined to get it fixed moving forward.
- Says that they did not play physical enough and were out-hustled and he takes responsibility for that. Also took responsibility for being out-schemed and said it is his job to ensure that all phases of the game are sound in all areas and how to get the team to play hard and play tough. “Every single detail” will be addressed.
- They are confident that they will rally and move forward.
- Injury updates: Dylan McCaffrey (concussion) is doubtful for Rutgers. Michael Dwumfour should play. Tru Wilson is close to returning and Zach Charbonnet is “in a good place.” Sean McKeon is also doubtful.
- “It was a bad day, it was not a banner day for Michigan. You don’t want it to turn into two losses... one loss turning into two.”
- “We saw it, you saw it. The entire football world saw it. It’s not acceptable.”
- Players have to play and prepare with focus and coaches have to stay on them and get after every detail. “If it’s not done right, we have to do it again.”
- Harbaugh said this week is the most important week and they have to focus on the task at hand and not look ahead.
- Reiterates that they must improve in all areas and all phases of the game when asked about usage of Nico Collins and other offensive playmakers. Starts with them getting more physical.
- Says there is “no excuse” if players said that they dwelled on mistakes. “Didn’t sense it killed the rest of the game. That’s unacceptable.”
- Coaching staff vs. leadership are in this together and they are a team. “We believe in each other. We’re dedicated to getting it fixed.”
- On if Chris Hinton and Mazi Smith could get more time: Harbaugh said they are looking for all players in all areas to step up and help them somewhere. “Looking for guys that have great focus for what this level demands.”
- Re-stated his confidence in Josh Gattis and that he has the keys to the offense.