Clark will take all official visits
It was another weekend filled with disappointment on the field for Michigan football, and it appears with every passing day the affect on recruiting is greater and greater.
Last week, four-star 2015 tight end commit Chris Clark (Avon, Connecticut) said that if Brady Hoke was fired that it would "change everything" in terms of his recruitment. On Sunday afternoon, he took it a step further on his Twitter account.
I'm Committed to michigan but just like everyone else I will take my officials visits this is based off of everything going at at michigan— Chris Clark (@Clark8Chris) October 5, 2014
He has not said which schools he will go to yet, but prime candidates would be North Carolina, USC and Texas. Losing Clark would be a big blow to the 2015 class, as he is widely considered the top tight end in the nation and perhaps the most talented player that the Wolverines have brought in during this cycle.
If Hoke does indeed get fired, the possibility of Clark and a fair amount of other committed players increases significantly. That's just the nature of the beast.
The Wolverines are putting these guys in a tough spot with the 2-4 record to start the year. What felt like a class of firm commitments about a month ago seems to be losing its grip as the losses pile up. We will have to see what happens.
Malzone continues to turn heads in 2014
Four-star quarterback commit Alex Malzone (Bloomfield Hills, Michigan) has had a fantastic 2014 that he continues to build on week after week. He led Birmingham Brother Rice to another victory, their 28th-straight, over Orchard Lake St. Mary's by a score of 28-20.
Malzone was 29-of-42 for 420 yards and four touchdowns, while his top target, three-star wide receiver Grant Perry, hauled in a school-record 14 catches for 257 yards.
Perry is a prospect that continues to intrigue me as the process goes on. He had a very good offseason as well and showed that he is one of the more underrated wide receiver prospects in the country. He doesn't exactly "wow" you with his measurables, but he is a very skilled route runner and produces. The majority of his offers have come from MAC schools and a few lower-tier Big Ten programs, but it would not surprise me to see him earn an offer from Michigan soon.
Going back to Malzone, though. He is going to make things very interesting at the quarterback position when he enrolls early in January. Devin Gardner will be gone, leaving Shane Morris, Wilton Speight and Malzone to compete in the spring. Malzone seems like a candidate to redshirt, but he can certainly push those other two guys.
January is a long ways away, and this program will likely look drastically different by then, but whoever is calling the shots next year, whether it be Hoke or someone else, will have an interesting quarterback battle to monitor.
Quick hits on a few 2016 offensive lineman
One of Michigan's top targets on the offensive line in the 2016 class is now off the board, as five-star prospect Tommy Kraemer (Cincinatti, Ohio) has committed to Notre Dame.
He chose the Irish over schools like Michigan, Boston College, Duke, Northwestern, Ohio State and more.
The Wolverines still have many talented lineman to go after in the 2016 cycle, one of which will be in Ann Arbor this weekend for the night game against Penn State.
Four-star prospect Clark Yarbrough (Woodbury Forest, Virginia) says on Twitter the flight is booked and he's ready to go.
Flights booked for the Michigan game this weekend 〽️ #GoBlue— Clark Yarbrough (@ClarkYarbrough) October 6, 2014
That's it for the Monday roundup. Check back in with us Wednesday for the latest in Michigan football recruiting.
Be sure to follow MnB's Recruiting Reporter Anthony Broome on Twitter, @anthonytbroome.