clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Wednesday Michigan Recruiting Roundup: Darian Roseboro explains decommitment from Wolverines

New, 8 comments

The WRR updates you on the latest in Michigan football recruiting. In this edition, Darian Roseboro talks about his decommitment from Michigan, Keisean Lucier-South confirms visit to Ann Arbor this weekend, while another prospect drops out of his visit and the Irish offer a pair of running back targets

Leon Halip

Darian Roseboro speaks on decommitment from Michigan

Last week, four-star defensive end Darian Roseboro (Lincolnton, North Carolina) announced that he had decommitted from the University of Michigan in the wake of their disappointing start to the season. Just days before the announcement, he had taken an official visit to North Carolina State to see the game against Florida State.

Roseboro spoke to Bleacher Report's Kynon Codrington about his decision to reopen his recruitment and why he chose to leave Michigan's 2015 class. (FREE)

"It was a place I didn't feel comfortable," he said to Codrington. "With everything going on, I felt it was best to keep my options open. When I told them my reasons, they said they understood."

His interest country-wide has picked up as well, as he also said that he received phone calls from Alabama, Clemson, North Carolina, Ohio State and Tennessee after he made the announcement and that he will sit down with his family to plan out his remaining visits.

If Michigan continues their slide to start the year, other recruits will follow suit in looking elsewhere with the status of the current coaching staff up in the air. We'll continue to monitor the situation of the remaining members of the class. Remember, there are still spots to fill as well.

Lucier-South talks Michigan visit and more

This weekend, five-star pass rusher Keisean Lucier-South (Orange, California), will finally make his much-anticipated official visit to Michigan for their night game against Penn State at the Big House.

He has long been considered the top prospect on their board for the class of 2015, and they'll need to make a big impression on him this weekend to keep themselves in the mix as one of the top school choices available to him.

Again, Bleacher Report's Codrington spoke to Lucier-South about the visit and the conversations he has had with Michigan's coaching staff. (FREE)

He has built a very nice relationship with Hoke and staff, and he spoke on if that would impact him or not:

"I want to see what's going to happen because that staff offered me, so if a new staff comes in I don't what's going to happen," said Lucier-South. "This weekend I want to see if the campus is going to fit me or not. I want to see how the academics are. I already know about the program. Academics are important because for the other nine months after you are by yourself, so I want to see if there's a fit for me."

Lucier-South is a hybrid pass rusher, meaning he can play either defensive end or outside linebacker, but he says recently the Michigan staff is recruiting him at the latter.

"I feel comfortable at outside linebacker, so it's not a problem," noted Lucier-South. "Most schools want me there, although I could play both."

His most recent official visit was to Oklahoma in September. After Michigan, he is expected to take one to Oregon. The remainder of his OVs are still up in the air.

Davis no longer visiting Michigan this weekend

On the flip side of things, there are a few prospects so far that have backed out of taking their officials to Michigan this weekend, one of them being three-star athlete Javarius Davis (Jacksonville, Florida), according to Bleacher Report's Tyler Donahue.

It seemed like there was fringe interest between Davis and the Wolverines, anyways, so it's not a huge surprise that he will no longer be attending. Michigan is not expected to be in his top group of schools.

Irish offer a pair of 2016 running backs

Four-star 2016 running backs Antonio Williams (New London, North Carolina) and Elijah Holyfield (Atlanta, Georgia) were offered by Notre Dame on Tuesday, according to ESPN's Tom VanHaaren.

Both players hold offers from Michigan and look like two of their top prospects available at their position in the 2016 class.

That's it for Wednesday. Check back in Friday for the latest in Michigan football recruiting news.

Be sure to follow Maize n Brew Recruiting Reporter Anthony Broome on Twitter, @anthonytbroome.