U-M coaches asked to empty offices, cease recruiting
One of the developments to come out of the last few days in the wake of Brady Hoke's dismissal is the fact that all of the coaches have been asked to clean out their offices and stop contacting recruits.
The report came from Steve Lorenz of 247 Sports, who also went on the say that this does not necessarily mean that Michigan is cleaning house entirely, as some members of the staff could still possibly be retained.
This is not really something to be overly concerned about in terms of recruiting. A dead period is coming up here shortly and the current players will be on Christmas break as soon as finals are over next week, so there is not much going on anyways.
We are at a stand still for football recruiting right now. Michigan lost 2015 tight end Chris Clark the other day, but outside of him it looks like the six kids they still have committed are staying firm to that and waiting out the coaching search. There won't be any members added likely in the next month or so, but nothing really points to them losing any, either.
Former Michigan assistant Mike DeBord, who works in the athletic department now, is overseeing football operations while the search takes place.
Alex Malzone wins Mr. Football award
Future Wolverine signal-caller, 2015's four-star commit Alex Malzone, has been named the top high school player in the state of Michigan, winning the Mr. Football award from the State Champs! Sports Network.
This season at Brother Rice, Malzone set school records for attempts (325), completions (211), yards (2,998) and touchdowns (38).
The good news for Michigan fans is that it really does not appear likely he ends up anywhere other than Ann Arbor.
He told Jeff Seidel of the Detroit Free Press that he has never wavered in his commitment and won't look elsewhere.
"You have to commit to the school, not a coach. The college coaching carousel is crazy with coaches. It's crazy. Last year was crazy and this year it's going to be even more crazy."
"I know they are going to bring in the right guy to make the program better and bring it back to where it used to be," Malzone said.
Malzone was never tempted to look elsewhere, even after five schools contacted him over the last few weeks, including Penn State and Indiana. "My parents and I talked about taking other visits," Malzone said. "But I didn't want to go anywhere else. Michigan was the place I have always wanted to go."
So Michigan has their quarterback of the future still locked in.
Messiah deWeaver visiting MSU this weekend
Speaking of future quarterbacks, Michigan's 2016 committed player at the position, four-star Messiah deWeaver, will be visiting East Lansing this weekend to see Michigan State, according to 247 Sports.
MSU head coach Mark Dantonio is hosting about 15-20 recruits on Saturday for a bowl practice and home basketball game at the Breslin Center. deWeaver and MSU have been trying to set up a visit for awhile, according to the report.
deWeaver committed to Michigan earlier this summer.
Darrian Franklin talks Michigan offer
Michigan offered 2016 four-star linebacker Darrian Franklin (Downey, California) a few weeks back, and he spoke to Go Blue Wolverine about the school and the coaches he spoke to.
“Coach Ferrigno came up to the school and liked me a lot,” said Franklin. “I was supposed to go up there sometime in the summer with my dad and I never got to. So he came down a few weeks ago, coach Ferrigno. He came down to see my team. (Later) he offered me a scholarship. I was excited that Michigan offered me and was looking at me.”
It remains to be seen how the coaching change will affect his recruitment.
That's it for Friday. Check back in with us Monday for the latest in Michigan football recruiting.