deWeaver visits, is offered by MSU
Michigan's 2016 quarterback commit, four-star prospect Messiah deWeaver (Dayton, Ohio), visited the rival Michigan State Spartans over the weekend and walked out of East Lansing with a scholarship offer from head coach Mark Dantonio.
It's not much of a surprise that he is taking other visits considering the coaching situation in Ann Arbor and that he still has another year of high school football, but he told Rivals.com's Josh Hemholdt that the visit went well. ($)
"When I first got there I just felt a bunch of love," deWeaver said. "When I got inside the practice they brought me to Coach (Mark) Dantonio. He said, 'I watched your film last night and I was so excited about you coming I watched it again this morning. I really like your style of play and how you fit this offense.' We were talking about school and my season, then he said we were going to talk after practice.
"We were having lunch - me, my mom and one of their cornerbacks, Vayante Copeland - and Coach Dantonio came to talk to us. He was telling me how their program works and how they are a national power. He said, 'I would like you to come to Michigan State' and then he offered me a scholarship."
Les Miles tells recruit he's staying at LSU
With the Michigan job now up for grabs, fans have been clamoring for the athletic department to hire San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh, but the second name that usually comes up among Wolverine fans is LSU head coach Les Miles.
Some believe that Miles would take the job at Michigan if it was ever officially offered to him, but it looks like he will be sticking around in Baton Rouge, at least according to the parents of a current LSU commit.
Miles visited the home of five-star LSU cornerback commit Kevin Toliver II on Thursday and addressed the situation to his parents. (FREE)
“I’m not concerned because I had already talked to Les about that when Kevin first committed, and I talked with him about that when we went up there this summer,” said Mr. Toliver. “I talked to him and his wife when we went up there for the Ole Miss game, so I wasn’t worried or concerned about it. He genuinely stood there and told me it wasn’t going to happen and his wife told us that too.
“Last night, he really put a stop to it. My wife really wanted to ask the question, but she didn’t have to because of the dialogue we were having, so he just went and put it out there. He’s not going to do it. He told us he is not going anywhere and he is fine where he is at, and he is not going to leave what he has going on here. He kind of gave us that look of ‘I would be stupid to leave’. And the thing about it is it is built around his family.”
Again, there are no reports that Michigan has offered him the job, let alone even reached out to him since Brady Hoke was fired last week. We'll have to wait and see what happens.
Where do the 2015 commits stand as of now?
Michigan has lost its fair share of commits in the last few months, the most recent of which came in the form of 2015's top tight end Chris Clark.
I've gotten a few emails and tweets sent to me asking where members of the 2015 class, to which there are only six left, stand in the wake of the coaching change.
The six guys Michigan has, quarterback Alex Malzone, wide receiver Brian Cole, offensive linemen Grant Newsome and Jon Runyan Jr., safety Tyree Kinnel and kicker Andrew David, all seem pretty firm in their commitments. Things could possibly change if they feel they do not mesh with the new coaching staff, but where we stand today it looks like they'll stay maize and blue.
That's it for Monday. Check back in with us Friday for the latest roundup of Michigan recruiting news.