clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Michigan loses to Oregon, 86-83, on a last-second shot in overtime

Despite 33 points by Dug McDaniel, Jackson Shelstad hit a dagger three-pointer to win the game for Oregon.

Michigan v St. John’s
Jacob Singer Jake Singer is a junior at the University of Michigan majoring in Political Science. He is a Michigan Football and Basketball Writer for SB Nation's Maize and Brew

The Michigan Wolverines fell just short to the Oregon Ducks, 86-83, on Saturday afternoon thanks to a last-second three-point shot in overtime.

The Wolverines came into the game as a slight 2.5-point underdog on the road, mainly due to the plethora of injuries the Ducks were facing. Before the game, Oregon’s Jesse Zarzuela (undisclosed) was listed as out, Keeshawn Barthelemy (undisclosed) was questionable (he ended up playing), and N’Faly Dante (hamstring), Nate Bittle (wrist), and Mookie Cook (ankle) were also all out. With these injuries, Michigan looked to take advantage, forcing the upset in Eugene.

The Wolverines started off slow in the first half, turning the ball over on the first two possessions. Tarris Reed Jr. also picked up a foul within the first 20 seconds of the game. On the other side, Oregon got off to a hot start, going 3-for-3 from three-point range.

Once the Wolverines settled down, Dug McDaniel scored five quick points to get Michigan back in the game. At various points in the half, McDaniel took the game into his own hands, as he finished with nine points in the half.

At the 7:32 mark in the first half, point guard Jaelin Llewellyn checked into the game for the first time since tearing his ACL on Dec. 4 of last year against Kentucky, and he quickly scored his first basket. Those two points were notable, as it ended a 6-1 Wolverine drought.

With four minutes left in the first half and Michigan down five, Nimari Burnett started to turn it on, making back-to-back threes to bring the Wolverines within one point. He finished the first half with eight points (2-for-4 from three-point range).

While the Wolverines were able to keep the first half close, they only shot 4-for-14 from three-point range (28 percent), gave up eight offensive rebounds and 12 second-chance points to go into halftime down, 38-35. McDaniel and Burnett accounted for 17 of the Wolverines’ 35 points.

At the start of the second half, while the Ducks made their first three-pointer — shooting 5-for-6 from that range — McDaniel went on a heater, making four straight three-pointers of his own (matching the team’s total for the first half), and leading the Wolverines on a 15-9 run and taking a 50-47 lead at the under-16 timeout.

This lead wasn’t safe, however, as Oregon’s Brennan Rigsby went on an 8-0 run, making back-to-back threes and dunking on Olivier Nkamhoa to give the Ducks a 55-52 lead.

Once Rigsby cooled off, the Ducks went cold, going on a point drought for 3:28. Michigan took advantage, scoring seven unanswered points to take a 59-55 lead. But not even a minute later, Oregon scored seven straight points on three Wolverine turnovers, retaking the lead yet again.

Both teams went back-and-forth scoring, but Michigan still found itself trailing by five points at the under-four timeout. However, Terrance Williams II got fouled on a three-point attempt, and after he made all three shots, the Wolverines trailed by just two.

With one minute remaining, McDaniel was cold-blooded and calculated, making two straight buckets to Michigan up by one yet again, 72-71. On the other end of the floor, Oregon had two chances to score, but Will Tschetter blocked Jadrian Tracey’s layup and McDaniel came down with the rebound.

The Wolverines were not home-free yet, as Nkhamhoa missed his free-throw attempt, allowing the Ducks to hold the ball for the last shot. On the inbound pass, Nkamhoa made up for his missed attempt, stealing the pass and making 1-of-2 free throws.

Going the other way, Oregon’s Kario Oquendo got fouled on a layup attempt with 15 seconds left, and after he made both free throws, Michigan had the chance to win the game on the final shot. That hope was short-lived, however, when McDaniel turned the ball over trying to break the Ducks’ defensive press.

The game went to overtime, 73-73, after two missed shots by Oregon.

Oregon got off to a hot start in overtime by scoring five quick points. Michigan retaliated by scoring five straight of its own. After sloppy play by both teams — missed free throws most notably — Oregon went up by two on a dunk by Mahamadou Diawara. Nkamhoa scored to tie the game again, but Ducks’ freshman, Jackson Shelstad — in his first game at home, no less — hit the dagger three-pointer with four seconds left to win the game for Oregon, 86-83.

The Wolverines lost a heartbreaker despite a career-high 33 points from McDaniel. The next highest scorer for Michigan was Burnett with 13 points. For the Ducks, they were led in scoring by Rigsby (19) and Shelstad (14).

The Wolverines will have to shake off the loss quickly as they head back home to face Indiana on Tuesday at Crisler Center.